  • Subject: Re: Job Log for interactive sessions
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:46:04 EDT

> Is there any way to suppress the job log generated for interactive sessions?

Get into the *JOBD & change the rules so there aint one, or once the session
has started, CHGJOB so there aint one anymore, or when user signs off, use
SIGNOFF *NO LIST rather than SIGNOFF *LIST

What is the problem?
Are you getting unwanted job log printouts?
We have hundreds per day in a Q just for System Job Logs & I sure would like
to find the time some time to lower the threshhold that creates these to only
when there is some problem.
Currently I WRKOUTQ & scroll through several hundred generated a day to find
the one or two a week from a real user job, which I move to a separate
analysis spool queue, then I clear the lot.

When the joblog is still interactive operating & the user gets into some kind
of trouble, the joblog can be invaluable.

User calls me ... they have some hassle.
I go into their job & check their joblog
I see that they got some error message to which they responded
inappropriately.
I cursor on the error message & F1 to get second level
I read off to them the error message that they had got & the responses that
were offered & what they all meant & the option that they took & the option
that they should have taken ... in other words we both now know how you got
into this mess & what we need to figure out is how to back you out of it
But the topic becomes
The user never saw that message, never saw that info that I am reading off
the joblog, never took that response
I tell them I am on my way to their office
I force an error message
What I am checking is that their PC has been setup properly to display line
25 where the error messages go.
The message was there
The user did not recognize it as an error message to respond to
They pressed enter & got the default
So I give the user a review of messages & second level
Then I study the message to see if the default should be changed

Without interactive job log I not see how anyone could diagnose this kind of
thing
You must have the best users in the world to not need this tool