  • Subject: A websited dedicated to iNation Citizens
  • From: "jt" <jt@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 18:58:33 -0400

All,

I mentioned a couple days ago that I set up a website for anyone wanting to
actually try to do some Open Source Software development.  For example, to
come up with an alternative to WebFacing.

This site is also intended for anyone to use if they want to collaborate on
doing some constructive things to help the iNation.  Any kind of
constructive actions are welcomed.

In keeping with my preference to under-promise, and over-deliver, I promise
absolutely nothing, except what the site says in the "About" link (in the
upper left-hand corner).  In return, I have no expectations either.

This site is intended to spur an actual grassroots movement of iNation
Citizens.  It won't last long otherwise, because I sure won't spend much
more time on it, unless there is at least some minimal interest in the
iSeries Community.  That Community includes Customers, BPs, ISVs, IBM's
suppliers, Educators, the Media, and all IBM'rs.  So I believe that means
everyone is included, and nobody is excluded.

As they say in the biz, here's a teaser I hope'll generate some interest:
I'll probably post the letters I sent IBM last October, along with a few
comments.  These letters outline the concept behind the iNation (which is
NOT saying IBM took any of my suggestions).  But IMHO, the letters clearly
show that the iNation doesn't necessarily have to turn into a marketing
gimmick, as that was never in my mind when I was proposing it to IBM.

It's almost unavoidable that some folks are going to assume I'm asking them
to commit their time and energies to "my" cause.

Nothing's further from the truth, but that's might be hard for me to prove,
at least to some people.  I took the first step, that's all, in setting up
this website.  There is no organization behind it, there are no rules and
procedures set up, there are no action items on the agenda (other than
possibly the OSS development).  I'm not going to supply these things,
either, because I don't believe you can have an effective grassroots effort
that way.  And the key to the iNation is putting together a grassroots
effort.

I hope at least one person will volunteer to take over the site management.
I'm an old green-screen dawg so I can say, for a fact, that anyone with a
browser can manage this thing.  I'd like to work on this OSS project if
anyone else cares to.  And if there's no interest at all, in any of this,
I'm more than happy to go back to spending more of my time generating
billable hours.

It would be the iNation's loss, because it won't deliver on it's full
potential unless there is a grassroots movement behind it.  I had one brief
conversation with Mr. Haines, and he said as much.

So I've taken a step, and now somebody else needs to take a step.  It's not
hard:  that step would be engaging in some dialogue about what kinds of
things can be done, and how much time individuals have to put towards making
it happen.  Clearly it's up to you all, who are the most active folks in the
iSeries Community.

Brad may, or may not, think much of this concept I'm presenting; either way
is alright by me.  When I quote Brad, I don't mean to imply anything by it,
other than he and Erik sure said a lot in their post on "RE: RE:
Introduction..." 6/1 at 3:12pm.  My favorite statement was where Brad said
"Quit looking for leaders and become a leader yourself!"

I've locked horns with Brad a time or two, but when he's right...  he's
right!  Join the movement!  If not this one, then another one.  There are
always different ways of arriving at the same goal.  Just pick one and take
whatever constructive actions you can take to move things forward a bit!
Talking's important, but actions speak...!

<spread the word>
http://www.i-a-i-c.org/

jt  (pseudo-webmaster...:-)