  • Subject: Re: No Mirror or Raid
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:30:31 -0500

Cripes!  Not the "our development machine doesn't need it" argument again!
I don't know how many times our 400's have had a disk drive replaced midday
- I've lost count.  I do know that our development machine was down for a
week because our saves didn't save access paths and it took that long to
rebuild them.  And we don't slouch on our development machine.  Currently
we have:  40S, 720, 730, 830, 820, 170, and a 720.  Our development machine
is the 820-23A2 with an upgrade on order.

So, your development machine is down,  program blows in production, and
your response to the plant manager is:  "We had a disk drive fail.  Please
wait a week while we do a restore and then we'll look at your problem."
Just won't cut the mustard, believe you me.  No access to source, compiler,
test files to compile against, testing capabilities, change management
software, and the list goes on and on and on...

Rob Berendt

==================
Remember the Cole!

                    "oludare"

                    <oludare@ix.netcom.        To:
<MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
                    com>                       cc:

                    Sent by:                   Subject:     Re: No Mirror or
Raid
                    owner-midrange-l@mi

                    drange.com

                    03/07/01 01:08 PM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

Good job Larry, very creative and precise. This setup will be  for a
development box and development libraries will be saved every night.
System initial load will be save to tape.