  • Subject: RE: 2 tcp Smtp jobs using most of cpu
  • From: "Alex A Moore" <alexm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 20:19:46 -0500

SMTP Warm and Cold Start

Document Description:

During SMTP start-up, SMTP may destroy distributions that it cannot process.
How SMTP does this depends on the
existence and contents of a single-character, user-defined data area called
QTMSCLEAN in the QUSRSYS library. The
character in this data area indicates the extent of mail control block
clean-up: o An uppercase or lowercase c in this data area indicates a cold
start was requested to free all mail control blocks.
o Any other character causes a warm start to free only the first floater
mail control block found. A floater is an MCB that was dequeued but was not
fully processed or failed processing when SMTP ended (for whatever reason).
When SMTP starts up, a recovery function checks the QUSRSYS library for this
data area and proceeds accordingly.

Since a warm start frees only a single MCB, it may be necessary to stop
SMTP, create the data area, and start SMTP more than one time to get to the
MCB that is causing the problem. If there are a large number of MCBs, a cold
start may be the fastest way to correct the problem.

To create the QTMSCLEAN data area, use the Create Data Area (CRTDTAARA)
command.

Cold Start

The following command causes a cold start to occur and frees all the mail
control blocks found the next time SMTP starts
up. On the OS/400 command line, type the following:

Important Note: When a cold start occurs, all unprocessed SMTP distributions
found in the system are destroyed and mail is lost.

CRTDTAARA DTAARA(QUSRSYS/QTMSCLEAN) TYPE(*CHAR) +
LEN(1) VALUE('c') AUT(*ALL)

Press the Enter key.

Warm Start

To cause a warm start and free only the first floater mail control block
found the next time SMTP starts up, on the OS/400 command line type the
following:

CRTDTAARA DTAARA(QUSRSYS/QTMSCLEAN) TYPE(*CHAR) +
LEN(1) VALUE('W') AUT(*ALL)

Press the Enter key. Once the clean-up is complete, code within SMTP deletes
the QTMSCLEAN data area from library QUSRSYS (provided the data area was
created using the *ALL authority).