  • Subject: Re: ECS Modem control
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:10:48 EST

We use our single ECS line for a variety of functions ... different hardware
& software consultants dial in using different protocols & we found it
expedient to give each one a separate configuration all of which own the same
comm line but only one can have it at a time, so we vary off folks, with
default being varied on for IBM, then when we need to use the line for other
folks & functions, vary off IBM & vary on whoever.  This is a bit of a trip
since none of them have consistent protocols, some need master security
clearance to vary on off their connection.  Some day I will put the whole bit
on a menu using adopted authority ... take this menu option to vary off
whoever has the line & transfer it to whoever.

We no longer do EDI, but when we did, they needed different modem deal than
the one we were using for ECS, so we ended up with A/B switches from Black
Box.

The wiring was ma bell plug with phone line to "C" connection of A/B phone
line switch, with "A" going to one modem & "B" going to other modem, then the
AS/400 comm lines from modems going to corresponding A & B connections of
comm line A/B switch, then "C" line into AS/400 itself.

So the switcheroo involved:
vary off whoever now owns "B" line, manually switch both A/B switches from B
to A, vary on whoever now owns "A" line.
At one time company wanted EDI to run automatcially off of job scheduler at
particular time of day to get stuff based on expected schedule of customer
delivering to mail boxes & also wanted customer service people to be able to
run EDI on demand from some menu when they heard from some contact that there
was stuff out there for us, but we had so much hassle with ma bell phone
lines bad connections with EDI VANs & end users not being able to cope with
the scenarios that the job reverted to MIS just get us the data & if it bombs
due to lousy ma bell just deal with it & get us the data.

>  From:    jknight@rei.com (Jim Knight)
>
>  We are moving to sending our remaining EDI transactions
>  to EXPEDITE (ADVANTIS) via dial-up PPP.  Unfortunately,
>  the only modem we have on our EDI system is our ECS modem.
>
>  I have looked at the manuals trying to find a sample program of how to
>  switch the modem settings from synchronous to asynch and back
>  since EXPEDITE is asynch and IBM is synch.
>
>  Anyone out there have a sample program or point me in the right direction?
>
>  TIA
>  Jim K

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838