  • Subject: Re: Lou is doing OK
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 03:34:34 EST

> From: cgalgano@ediconsulting.com (Carl Galgano)
>
>  Wow, and I have been watching my high tech portfolio go south now that
>  everyone in Florida has figured out that computers can not count very well.
>  I guess they weren't IBM machines doing the counting.  Think they ran M$
>  products?
>  cjg

The problem could be the training of the operators.

IBM Computers were mentioned in a very BAD light on A&E Investigative Reports
into why our Air Traffic is all clogged up with flight delays.

Most of Air Traffic Control is run by computers manufactured in 1950,
purchased by the government in 1960, and implemented in 1970.  They showed us
some pics & they looked like TAB equipment to me with the wired boards that
used to have numbers like 402.  They are in the process of replacing this
stuff, in 2000, with computers purchased in 1990 that were manufactured in
1980, and while this was being explained to us, we were told that by the time
the FAA gets them installed, IBM isn't making that model any more.  When the
50 year old equipment fails, they go to a manual system.

The airports are a big traffic jam needing more runways, use of military
airports, and air space redesign, all blocked by neighborhoods that want no
more noise.  There's an ocean of air not being utilized effectively but high
density areas are saturated.

They could adjust fares so lower at odd ball hours at nite when no one really
wants to fly, and keep that noise over the neighborhoods.

The hub spoke system has a ripple effect with delays, since each arriving
plane, its flight crew, its cabin crew, and its passengers have other planes
to get to, but they all delayed.  Weather delays in one city mess up the
whole country.

I am thinking that if they are able to solve this & get more planes into the
system, it will have a big negative effect on the ozone hole.

MacWheel99@aol.com (Alister William Macintyre)