  • Subject: RE: Leased Line vs. ???
  • From: "Carl Galgano" <cgalgano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 10:12:06 -0500

Dan:
I see your post that your company has made a decision about this, but I
thought that I would weigh in my 2 cents.
You say you will install a LL.  Did you look at Frame Relay?  Generally FR
is cheaper than a private LL.  With a private LL you pay for a copper pair
from point to point.  With FR you pay for a "port" to the FR provider's
network.  The actual leased part of the circuit is only from your location
to the provider's POP (point of presence).  Same on the other side of the
connection.  Then there is a PVC (permanent virtual circuit) in the FR
network that connects the 2 ports.  Keep in mind since the PVC is virtual,
the data can travel over many different routes in the network, there is no
single pair of copper, so in theory data came be routed around a problem.
With regard to VPN, this is pretty simple to do.  We have a VPN server set
up on our network.  It is running MS VPN server under Win2K.  We have
unsecured Telnet to our AS400 over the internet, but can also start a second
dial up adapter on the client side that uses the MS VPN adapter as the
"connection device".  This creates the "tunneled" connection to our network
and then makes the client PC look like it is locally attached on our
network.  All services on our local net are available to the PC connection
via VPN.  You could use CA, but we choose not to.  Any telnet client works,
and we have used various LPD/LPR clients for printing.  For the price you
can not beat Mochasoft's TN5250 client and LPD/LPR client.  We also have a
few clients that are running CheckPoint-1's firewall, and we use
CheckPoint's VPN client to connect to their network over the Internet.
Again, it works well.  I actually prefer the MS VPN solution better.
Just my 2 cents.
cjg

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
540 Powder Springs Street, Suite C19
Marietta, GA  30064
(770) 422-2995 - voice
(419) 730-8212 - fax
mailto:cgalgano@ediconsulting.com
http://www.ediconsulting.com
AS400 EDI, Networking, E-Commerce and Communications Consulting and
Implementation
http://www.icecreamovernight.com
Premium Ice Cream Brands shipped Overnight

"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know" - rw