  • Subject: Re: Remote printer problem
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 16:00:14 EST

Your tale of reports seemingly jumping to random drawers other than the
intended ones reminded me of similar history at Central.

We had a similar problem when we first got IBM 4247 which supports 2 drawers.
There were several issues that had to be resolved.

I found it neccessary to add a program to the start-up sign-on, so that when
people sign onto the M/36 reality, it defaults the user identity to the
appropriate corporate printer drawer, then have particular programs printer
files tie particular form types to particular drawers, and when we have
multi-drawer printers in more than one facility, consistently assign
particular drawers to particular forms ... one part paper / factory job
tickets / etc. always go in a particular drawer globablly within the company.

This is because we have people helping each other across facilities in the
same kind of department ... a facility is understaffed in a particular
department due to vacations or sickness or something, so folks who understand
the application generate everything that is needed, then at the last step
move it to the relevant printer, at which point you want defaults to be
consistent across facilities.

Reports use many defaults & sometimes software has been written for a
different reality, inadvertently over-riding what we now seek, thanks to
adding hardware or OS featues that we previously never had occasion to use.

From IBM classes I learn that (& this might not be the whole story) ... well
at the bottom of this post to you is a copy (with a bit snipped out) of
something I recently shared with some power user help desk co-workers.  My
focus on what overrides what overrides what ... was from the issue of "Where
is my report?" but you can use the same general path to find "What is telling
it which drawer to use?"

We were periodically on M/36 owning the hardware, so the 4247 had to emulate
a type of printer the M/36 recognized and was also capable of using the 4247
features.  It turned out that we needed microcode patches for the 4247 for
M/36.

In more recent times our problems have been with the use of PC printers
attached to twinax monitors, in which the emulation has to be one that the
monitor supports, and  also can handle the kinds of printing we are doing ...
the printer can do it, the problem is that the printer it is emulating can
not.

>  An important significance of being able to navigate this stuff is where
the
> AS/400 gets its instructions from & what overides what defaults in
> determining where to put my report ... we often have users who create a
> report, it prints on the wrong printer, they cannot find it ... they have
> settings they comfortable with, everything working good, go to some other
> work station & problems.
>
>  If we use 100% defaults, which we do not, then the bottom line rule is
>
>  DSPSYSVAL QPRTDEV
>  This is the system value that says our system printer is PRT02 ...
> everything is to go there unless something overrules that.  When we see
> something saying PRTDEV(*SYSVAL) that means check the
> system values & use whatever is there.
> System Values are about 120 rules that govern everything
> that runs on AS/400.  You can WRKSYSVAL then select a category & find
> interesting one & 5-view it current setting & choices & F1 help
explanation.
> I am currently studying implications of changing some of them
> due to my security review & the last ones that
> I changed were due to my performance review.
> If you WRKSYSVAL F4 *PRINT you get a nice chart showing original values
> as shipped from IBM vs. those we have changed to something else.
>
>  The next level of over-rides is at the Device definition level ... there
are
> tons of stuff that we barely understand & frankly I basically want to
concern
> myself here with IS THE EQUIPMENT WORKING &
> handle any over-rides at a higher level.
> If you see something like OUTQ(*DEV) that means use whatever default
> is setup in the device configuration.  There is a way to tie a particular
> display station to have its output go to a particular printer.
>
>  Device rules can override System Values.
>
>  The next level of over-rides is at the Work Station Device Address
> Description ... If you ever see something (*WRKSTN) that means it is saying
> to use whatever rules are set at this level, which could point to something
> else.
>
>  BPCS pop-up menu option-1 gives easy way to futz with that data, so
> basically those rules work, so long as there are no over-rides.   There is
> lot of stuff here that we should not be messing with, assuming we want
BPCS
> [...]

> facilities where people had to sign on like AL.LAW
> to access the LAW data base, or AL.GWD for the GWD data base,
> or today I use AL for the regular enviroment & ALE for the educational
> & test environment.  When you are physically at a particular office,
> sign on with the user-id issued to you that has been optimized for
> printer you want to use at that office.  I do not like this approach
> due to flaws in BPCS security management & the complicated
> task of counting real users for license management.
> I will be thinking about alternatives here ... ideally for end user
> some menu option they run that says "reset my defaults for me
> working in ______ fill in which facility that you want your reports
> to go TO as opposed to WHERE you physically are now"
>
>  I am thinking that eventually I may wish to have OS4 type functions
> intended for end users to change rules for their sign-on that do not
> impact their BPCS access, similar to other general functions on some
> of our user menus today.
>
>  Change Password
>  Overrule Workstation Address rules - me regardless
>  Display what stuff is currently running in my name from anywhere on
>  the system
>
>  DSPJOBD defaults to the 400 job description for your current sign-on
session
> which has been setup to be BPCS rules that apply to all BPCS users -
slightly
> different one for test environment - stuff in here includes library list &
> also what printer & JOBQ & etc. & it had better have pointers to *USRPRF or
> *WRKSTN so that this kind of thing can continue to be tailored by user or
work
> station.
>
>  Several programs that output special forms, such as JT05, invoices,
checks,
> etc. have what is called a printer device file, which spells out the
> dimensions of the forms ... page size, whether we need special alignment,
and
> many of the values in there can default to *JOBD (BPCS defaults) or lower *
> USRPRF *WRKSTN etc. or do an override, to say ... we do not care who
> generates this in the company, we want all of it to go to a particular
> printer.
>
>  To a certain extent this is under the control of the programmer, but once
> the program objects are compiled, we can CHGPRTF change that object
> to a set of standards we wish to impose & in fact
> I have written several simple CL to impose standards on JT05
> and other special reports after each DDS software update,
> to make sure I never overlook certain basics.
>
>  Query fits into this via QPQUPRFIL or something like that, where the rules
> are set by whoever created the query, so if someone defined a query to say
> "print this query on a particular printer & do not put it on hold"
>  that overrides anything the end user of the query had defined
>  through BPCS for their standard defaults.

Somewhere in here, and I am not exactly sure where, are defaults for the
spool
ie. info associated with WRKOUTQ, that say what to do with all reports that
are sitting in that outq, in the absense of any overrides to these defaults.
This has been an issue for us with software that violates our page size ...
we use 68 lines / page at 8 lines to inch, which is much more user friendly
handling the paper than the standard sizes that far too much software assumes
everyone uses.

>  This in turn can be overriden by the CL program that runs the job.
>  If you look in the QCLSRC for CIIIQUERY & 5-browse some of the
>  RUNQRY there, you will occasionally find a line
>  just above RUNQRY saying OVRPRTF which is
> an over-ride printer device file, where I can impose some stuff like
>
>  ... I do not care what the query creator says, put this sucker on hold &
> let's give it a NAME on spool file that provides a clue as to WHAT it is.
> so if there are a ton of queries you can distinquish between them.

> Summary Chart to help remember what overrides what
> =======================================
>  Where 100% defaults still in effect - check System Values.
>  Device configuration rules can override System Values.
>  Work station address rules can override Device rules.
>  User sign-on rules can override Work station rules.
>  Job Description rules can override User profile rules.
>  Printer Device File & Query can override Job Description.
>  CL program off of Menu can override the above.
>  User at WRKSPLF can change the rules before releasing to print report.

Now what is missing from Al's picture?

> The important stuff that we might want to do differently in the future is
>
>  1) We can override work station printer defaults at the user profile level.
>    In the short term Al Security adjustments.
>    Longer term think about a program for users to adjust what is safe
>    themselves.
>
>  2) There are many elements of what can be over-ridden at various levels &
> this hierarchy is important to stay aware of.  I intend to cut / paste into
> a Word document, then add that to our notebook on system values.
>
>  3) Most RUNQRY CL does NOT have any printer over-ride
> but when Al includes, usually does put it on hold.

Alister William Macintyre
Computer Data Janitor etc. of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 on 400 model 170 OS4 V4R3
(forerunner to IBM e-Server i-Series 400)  @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central
Industries of Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and
electrical sub-assemblies