  • Subject: Re: IBM Rebrands AS400 - NT replaced by 400
  • From: "Jim Franz" <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 23:04:01 -0400

> <SNIP>
> >I've seen  recently several NT web servers replaced by  400s.
> >Need to get the message out.
<snip>
> Could you email me those websites?

I hope you didn't think I replaced the NT's (that would be a thrill!!)
Note: I have no affiliation w/Lansa mentioned below.
I've been poking around, looking for sites that should be in the Ignite400
Showcase of as400 web sites.
The first is referenced in the www.lansa.com site, they have a "Built
with Lansa" select on the left column. Choose Czech Fotbal Site.
Read the case study. here's a snip: ...site was running on an NT box with
Microsoft Active Server Pages &  Microsoft Access database. However,
the stability of the site was poor and performance too slow. ...couldn't
handle
more than 50 hits per second, ...  <BIG SNIP>re-build the web site on an
AS/400
... model S10, the smallest AS/400 web server model, ...
WOW!
Other references on Lansa site are very good-I've used this site to convince
people the 400 is a great web server!
The 2nd big NT replace was heard at a Lansa demo. There big demo customer is
www.songfile.com  - millions of hits a day. Rep said (and forgive me if I'm
wrong)
that the project first went to an NT project, failed, and Lansa & Al Barsa's
group
came in & did the job (Al, did I get this right?)
The 3rd NT replace (again Lansa-because the have details on why many of
their customers used
AS400 for web serving) www.ktmusa.com  KTM Motorcycles  and I quote:
... we used an NT system but the system had met the limits of its growth and
the software was
not sophisticated enough. When we started our planning ...advised us to use
an entry model AS/400.
To see more of these, find the Story Archives at www.lansa.com
I'm sure there are more - and also 400's replacing unix servers.
If anyone knows of other vendors with stories of their 400 web
implementations, put the
sites in the Ignote400 Showcase, or send me a note. I'd like to see
thousands of entries.
....they are out there ...
Jim Franz