  • Subject: Re: *** ADMIN: New category at Midrange Resources
  • From: "Jim Franz" <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 16:35:41 -0400

I have spent quite a few off-hours looks for 400 web sites.
the www.ignite400.com page has a Showcase link, with
92 as400 sites listed. Unfortunately, using something like
www.netcraft.com which has an online tool to return web
server info can be misleading under many circumstances.
The front end server may be unix, iis, linux, with the as400
serving the "database pages".
The as400 may be only a database server with cgi, net.data
or something else used to make requests.
If I had my isp (who may have no clue what a 400 is) running
a site and each page is some interation with my 400, does this
count as a 400 site? I think it does! The whole idea of e-commerce
(the IBM way) is that it can be many machines, many operating
systems. Whether I'm front-end, middle, back-end, or whatever,
the 400 should count.
We should be able to come up with a list of 1,000s of sites, not all
on the front end, and under the main domain name. Many of the
Business Partners know where these sites are - their software is
running on them: Lansa, Advanced Business Link, Jacada, I/Net,
and many more. I've added a few to the ignite list by Lansa's long
list of references, with links to their sites (check out the Czech
Soccer League www.fotbal.com and Lansa's description of how they
replaced an NT (too slow) with an S10!!)
BTW-I assume most BPs are NOT running on 400s (the go cheap!)
and the 400 magazines -the slow and sometimes unreliable sites can't
be 400s!!
jim