  • Subject: RE: IPL frequency (was Who has a big QTEMP?)
  • From: James David Rich <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:49:08 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 booth@martinvt.com wrote:

> Do your other machines run pretty good at 95% dasd utilization?  I know my

Yes, my other machines (AIX and linux) do run well with very nearly full
disks.

> wife's Windows box goes into a tailspin at about 85%.  It likes lots of
> swap space. and if it doesn't get it it doesn't warn her, it just goes
> blue or black and then re-IPLs, or she has to re-IPl.

I don't really trust windows to get anything right.  Nor do I think that
reliablilty should be stated in terms of 'its better than windows'.  The
as400 is important enough that it should be up all the time, not just more
than somebody else.

From reading other posts on this topic I am discovering that there are
people who keep their machine up almost all the time.  And I am finding
the reasons people shut them down.  It surprises me that an IPL was a
requirement to simply get some disk space back.

James Rich
james@dansfoods.com