  • Subject: RE: Client Access Problem (CAWIN) pls help
  • From: jkrueger@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 20:14:00 -0500

>> I get confused between the license ID for express and CA for the windows
family, but from what IBM tells me, terminal emulation is NOT part of
CA/Express.  So, if you are trying to do 5250 emulation you will need either
the CA/for windows 95/98 terminal emulation prodcut or some third party.
You can get an I/P connection and then telnet, but you have to be able to
live with the lack of function keys.

You're confusing what comes with Client Access Express with which parts of
Client Access Express are licensed for free use with OS/400.  Client Access
Express includes PC5250, which is a high function Telnet-based emulator with
full support for function key mapping.  When you purchase OS/400, you are
authorized to use many functions in Client Access Express, such as Operations
Navigator and ODBC, without purchasing a license for Client Access Express.
However, you are not authorized to use PC5250 or File Transfer unless you
explicitly buy a Client Access Express license.

Janet Krueger
Andrews Consulting Group