  • Subject: RE: Subject: AS/400 to IBM Mainframe Tape
  • From: "Lemen, George (Contractor)" <george.lemen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 16:06:55 -0700

Bob --
 Been there a couple of times on a problem like the one you are facing.
 The IBM mainframe guys are right -- from their perspective -- IBM's
mainframe operating systems do NOT know how to interpret an AS/400 SAV file.
 To make this work we have had to do the following:
*       Get agreement on the details. You will need to agree on record
length, blocking factor and format (as well as the tape density if using
round reels). Usually we use IBM standard labile, fixed-length records, with
a blocking factor that gets us an overall block length under 16MB, and
"fixed block" format. The blocking factor will set how much memory must be
dedicated in the memory pool on the AS/400 and the mainframe to read and
write the tape! In our experience, the "optimum" block size depends on type
of tape and how big the files are.
*       On the AS/400 either have a CL program that overrides the IBM
supplied tape file settings (or create a new one) to set the Label
Processing Type, record length, block length, Record block format, and Tape
Density parameters of the tape file to the values agreed to with the
mainframe.
*       Make sure your tape is initialized to the density expected by the
mainframe.
*       Use CPYF (or RPG or COBOL program) to write records to the tape
file.
*        When the copy is done unload the tape and send to the mainframe.

 If their JCL (on an MVS system) is set up to match the settings on the
AS/400 they should be able to copy your data. Note that they will have to
have their own program to break the records down into individual fields. And
the program (or CPYF) must simply copy the data into the record. The field
definitions are NOT carried over to the mainframe in this type of data
transfer. The mainframe expects just a record of some length as a string of
bytes.

Here is some mapping between OS/400 CL and MVS JCL that I have found helpful
in dealing with these cases when talking with our mainframe folks:
*       OS/400 Label Processing Type = *SL  equates to "standard label tape"
in MVS (I think the JCL DD statement has a LABEL=(SL,....) parameter for
this.
*       OS/400 Record Length equates to the LRECL parameter setting on MVS
JCL "DD" statement.
*       OS/400 Block Length equates to the BLKSIZE parameter setting on MVS
JCL "DD" statement.
*       OS/400 Record Block Format = *FB equates to RECFM=FB  on MVS JCL
"DD" statement.
*       OS/400 Density equates (oddly enough) to DENSITY= on MVS JCL "DD"
statement.

Most of our mainframe support staff seem to understand the terms from the
MVS JCL "DD" statement (even if they are running on VM or one of IBM's other
mainframe OS offerings).

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

>Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 09:54:12 -0500
>From: "Bob Voltz" <Bob_Voltz@Biometmail.com>
>Subject: AS/400 to IBM Mainframe Tape
>
>I have a requirement to send a file to an unknown IBM mainframe on tape.
>
>The requirements are as follows:
>36 or 18 track cartridge (3480, 3490 or 3490e) or 9 track tape reel (6250
bpi)
>Character code: EBCDIC
>
>I sent them a normal SAVOBJ on a 3480 cartridge, but they say they can't
read
>it.  They gave me some gibberish about block sizes and end of record
markers.  I
>would really appreciate any help on this one.
>
>Bob Voltz
>Biomet

George Lemen
Sr. Technical Consultant, CIBER Inc.