• Subject: SQL Data Links & FieldRef - Was blobs
  • From: jpcarr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 08:26:35 -0400

Concerning Data Links;
I was told by some DB2/400 person that we can create a View and Cast a Data
Link as Character data type.
So we basically have the ability.

Now then,   What does every think of having the REF capability in SQL
Create Table???

How does this strike you??

  LIKE MyFieldRef (pull in all of the column definitions)
  LIKE MyFieldRef(CustID, Name, City)

I think this would be great!!!   Why should we be punished just  because
other platforms(Oracle, SQL Server) don't have the concept of REFFLD.

Do you all think this would be a good thing?     Would you like it to pull
the Column Headings/Text and other things too, or just Size, Type, Length,
Decimal Pos.  ???

John Carr