     If you're wanting a simple sort tool, I wrote a very simple one several
     years ago. It uses S36E BLDINDEX to sort the file.... looks something
     like:
     PGM PARM(&FILE &LIB &MBR &POS1 &LEN1 &POS2 &LEN2 &POS3 &LEN3)

     dcl ...

     BLDFILE TEMPF1,S,RECORDS,1,4096,,T,,,NDFILE

     CPYF FROMFILE(&LIB/&FILE)
          TOFILE(QS36F/TEMPF1)
          FROMMBR(&MBR)
          TOMBR(*FIRST)
          CRTFILE(*NO)

     CHGVAR VAR(&PARM)
           VALUE('TEMPF2,' *CAT &POS1 *CAT ',' *CAT &LEN1 *CAT +
           ',TEMPF1,,DUPKEY,,' *CAT &POS2 *CAT ',' *CAT &LEN2 +
           *CAT ',' *CAT &POS3 *CAT ',' *CAT &LEN3)

     STRS36PRC PRC(BLDINDEX)
               PARM(&PARM)

     CPYF FROMFILE(QS36F/TEMPF2)
          TOFILE(&LIB/&FILE)
          FROMMBR(*FIRST)
          TOMBR(&MBR)
          MBROPT(*REPLACE)
          FROMKEY(1 (X'00'))
          FMTOPT(*NOCHK)

     cleanup tempfiles, etc......

     ENDPGM
     I may not have gotten everything, but you should get the idea. This works
     because of the way BLDINDEX attaches the keyfields to the end of the
     record format. When you copy tempf2 by key order back into your original
     file and member, it cuts off the added fields, leaving you with your
     sorted file. Worked great for what we needed it for. Main problem is the
     three field limit, though its enough for most needs.

     hth
     eric.delong@pmsi-services.com