  • Subject: Re: Software Subscription strikes again.
  • From: dhandy@xxxxxxxxxxx (Douglas Handy)
  • Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 21:41:42 -0500

Rick,

>What happened to the 2175?

Sorry; I looked at my chart wrong.  It does go 2175 then 2179-2182.  I
misread it to be 2178 thru 2182.  But you'll notice I called it a 2175
when giving the CPW factors later.  (Trying to save face here...)

>> Which model 620 did you get, and why?
>
>It is a 2175 and If I remember correctly, it was because of the number of
>twinax devices we support.  In any case the 170 had limits which were
>outside our tolerance.

As I said, there can be legitimate reasons.  And your company has
evidently had explosive growth if you went from a 200/2031 to a 620,
so it the trend is projected to continue it gives additional reason to
be in the 6xx or 7xx series.

I wasn't necessarily trying to argue you should have gotten a 170,
just making sure all the options were considered before changing
tiers.  It is unusual (in my experience), but certainly justifiable
when growth exceeds the increase within the current tier.

>>The question is why didn't your rep/BP go
>> over all the ramifications when deciding what you should upgrade to?
>
>The question in regard to my BP could have been asked for every purchase I
>have ever made. :)
>
>OK look, it may be that we do things which are unusual.  Maybe I am reading
>this wrong, but according to what I have read above,  you apparently think I
>am simply stupid.

No, you're reading it wrong.  I didn't intend to imply you are simply
stupid.  I would consider it to be the responsibility of the BP to
present all the costs -- not of the customer to ask!  I'd be very
displeased with the BP in a situation like this.

You asked them for a quote, and they should have known you had a
support line contract.  This was there omission as far as I'm
concerned.  I certainly wasn't trying to flame you.

>I guess I don't understand the direction you are taking this.

Well, to be honest, it started out when I thought you were talking
about software subscription costs, not support line.  I guess it was
the subject heading you replied under, and the fact the monthly
figures are in the ballpark of P10 to P20 costs for SS.

I had entered most of the response before I realized you were talking
about support line instead of software subscription.

>You ignored my primary questions, which you cut out of your reply.
>
>*_Which one is right?_*
>
>*_Will I soon get hit with another retroactive bill?_*
>
>So, I ask again, which quoted price is right? $463/mo or $116/mo (it's
>multiple choice ;)

I ignored it because when I checked the configurator I have, I
realized it would give me software subscription prices but not support
line charges.  IOW, I went to look it up but found I would have to do
a web search to get current prices.

But the support line charges vary with the machine, so I would
anticipate an increase when going from P10 to P20.  However I don't
have a copy of the options since it is not in the (public)
configurator.  That's why I didn't answer the question directly.

So I just searched on the web, and the newest thing I could find was
announcement letter 699-026 from last June 15.  (Which is at
http://www.ibmlink.ibm.com/usalets&parms=H_699-026 )  But it doesn't
give the charges and instead just says:

 "For pricing information regarding any of the services listed in this
announcement, contact your IBM representative, your IBM Business
Partner, or call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968), or IBM Global Services
Inside Sales at 888-426-4343. "

However, I also found price changes from 1998 in letter 398-023 which
should give you an approximation of the charges.  An excerpt follows:

                                          Support Family Services
                                     Prime    Prime     Full     Full
                                     Shift    Shift    Shift    Shift
                                       Old      New      Old      New
                                    Charge   Charge   Charge   Charge

AS/400 Standard Support Line
 9401-P01,2,3                       $  105   $  116   $  142   $  157
 9402-200,20S                          105      116      142      157
 9406-320                             $515     $567     $695     $765
 9406-500,50S                          240      264      324      357
 9406-510                              405      446      547      602
 9406-S20,600                          120      132      163      180
 9406-620                              453      499      612      674

Switch to a fixed-pitch font to be more readable.  But the 200/2031
went from $105 to $116 effective April 1, 1998 for prime shift
coverage.  At the same time, the 620 went from $453 to $499 per month.
Contracts renewed after July 1, 1998, were affected by the letter too.

But that is two years old now, and is the newest specific charges I
can find on IBM's web site.  You can see the letter at
http://www.ibmlink.ibm.com/usalets&parms=H_398-023

Judging from the above letter, I'd say the $463 should be much closer
to the current price for a 620 than $116 per month.

Hopefully IBM will honor your new contract at $116, and you signed a
long-term agreement. :)

Doug