  • Subject: Re: Suftware Subscription strikes again.
  • From: "Richard J. Serrano" <rjs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 16:37:34 -0800

Eric,

Perhaps your VP of IS didn't do his homework up front. It is very possible HE
is partially to
blame for not securing and locking in a fixed agreement with IBM from the
get-go. I know several
people in key positions that this is what they do, and do very well. They will
lock in X figure
over X amount per year in increases that is acceptable to both the customer &
IBM.

 Believe me, I know this is not an issue you can bring up to him directly, as
he will take it as
an attack on his abilities and responsibilities as part of upper management.
(This is the "ugly"
administrative side of things!)

I am not at all defending IBM, but you've got to hand it to them, if they can
get away with
charging you full boat, they will. The key word here is NEGOTIATION.
Administratively, upper
management has a fiduciary responsibility to do this.

I don't know how much this will help you as far as job security is concerned,
but perhaps it
will be something to look for in a manager should you find yourself in a
position to look
elsewhere. I hope this isn't the case, but if it does go that route, it is
something to
remember...

*All opinions expressed are strictly my own, damn it...*

Regards,

R. J. Serrano
rjs@pgsas400.com