  • Subject: Re: 24x7 information
  • From: PaulMmn <PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 22:09:49 -0500

Jim--

We've used Mimix for the past 7-8 years and are pleased with its ability to
clone libraries from one system to another.

In our configuration we use Mimix to clone our production libraries to a
2ndary machine.  When it's time for backups, we suspend the updating of the
2nd machine, and run our backups.  Once backups are done, we turn the
updating back on, and let things catch up.

Mimix does have the capability to switch from one machine to another in the
event of a catastrophe, or on-demand for scheduled maintenance.

The problem is that the a scheduled cutover is not instantaneous.  You have
to (1) end all activity on the 'shutting down' machine; (2) Wait until all
of the transactions in transit arrive at the 2nd machine, and have a chance
to update the files; (3) while (1) and (2) are going on, switch your
communications to the 2ndary machine; (4) Make sure files on the 2nd
machine are being journalled (transactions to be sent back to primary
machine when it's available); (5) Activate users on 2nd machine.

Going back to the primary machine is much the same.

The time involved can be relatively quick, but it does take non-zero time.

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@ix.netcom.com