  • Subject: Re: Please advise
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 8:30:55 -0500

But look at this concept.  With the advent of EDI, and Web
order entry, isn't the job of heads down data entry being reduced?

leslier@datrek.com on 01/12/2000 05:17:28 PM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet
To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet
cc:
Fax to:

> Quit being such a heretic! It's widely known, and argued here frequently,
> that RPG is _all_ the AS/400 ever needs to build a competitive AS/400. ;)

I expect more from such a well liked midrange pundit as yourself than
such baseless sarcasm. If you would stop being purposely obtuse you
would see that I never said RPG was all the 400 needed, I said that you
and the other bandwagon jumpers can't expect us to abandon years of
experience at the drop of a hat.
My whole argument, putting aside my dislike of News/400 which I admit is
out of place in the list, is that there is no valid reason to jump ship
when the AS/400 and RPG are both stable albeit quirky tools for the
business programmer.
Instead of making snide comments, which do nothing but lower your
stature, prove me wrong show me numbers. Show me the number of
e-applications that are currently being developed in comparison to the
number of heads down data entry apps. You will never, and I mean never
convince me that data entry types want a GUI interface to their
applications. I have tried it with seagull and other screen scrapers and
always gotten hostile response.
I admit, and agree that the 400 is not strong in the gui arena but I
don't think it is data entry types who are driving the surge toward gui.
I think the bedazzled developers are not think about the data entry
personnel when the shove a point and click interface down the users
throat.
Take BPCS GUI order entry module as a case in point, it was so slow and
unwieldy that we had to discontinue implementation, the customer service
department just could not use the darn thing, and they didn't want to be
forced to go back and forth between mouse and 10 key all day long.

--
L. S. Russell Programmer/Analyst
Datrek Professional Bags, Inc.