  • Subject: Re: Sys/36 virtual machine, or OS/400?
  • From: "Emilio Padilla Taylor" <epadilla@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 16:56:40 -0600

Hi,
------------- SNIP --------------

> >you could then begin to migrate out of the S/36EE to full native... This
> >method requires nothing more than a recompile...

Hi Pat,  one of the biggest problem of S/36E is the recompile, for my own
experience,

1. Down here in Central America, most of the prepack applications on S/36
did not came with sources.

2. Most of the in-house applications, have a really bad source management
(we are talking about really old programming technics with several copies of
the same source that only real old programmers know witch source goes with
what program).

3. MRT programming was a common use for interactive programming, and this
one's require a lot of modifications.

4. And not the last, S/36 people is the MOST STUBBORN people on the fase of
the earth when you try the take away their system :-) Ask IBM, they are been
trying to kill s/36 for 10 o more years know, with s/36e, M36, etc. They
threw anything but the sink to this people so the give away their s/36 with
no luck whatsoever.  I been several times on the situation to go and
scavenger old s/36 for parts for clients.  But THEY STILL NOT GIVING UP
THEIR SYSTEMS.  Give the system some credit, this is a system with more than
5 years with no support, no parts, no Y2K commpliant, and STILL ALIVE.  I
think that after a nuclear winter, is the only think that will still
working, besides the cockroachs.

p.d. This could be a good survey, how many S/36 still alive and working?

Emilio Padilla