I would think that questions as to an employer's policies would be a
reasonable question to ask in an employment interview.  The court room
probably is, after all, in the employer's jurisdiction; the employer has
civic obligations too.

In every situation I have been in, the deal was: do the jury duty; the
company will make you whole on your pay.  It is not a big expense to a
company since so few actually end up serving on jury duty, and it is a
clear statement to the community and to the employees of where the
company's values lie.

So far as that goes, since it has come up here as a topic, why don't we
all ask our employers to make their policies align with the mores of the
community?  Why not ask them to consider making employee's pay whole when
they get called to jury duty?  Good companies will gladly agree, imho.
Booth Martin
boothm@earth.goddard.edu
http://www.spy.net/~booth

nina jones <ddi@datadesigninc.com>