  • Subject: New AS/400 - First Step
  • From: "Gallagher, Debbie (CA - Toronto)" <dgallagher@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:59:53 -0500

For those of you who are waiting to hear how's it's going with my first ever
AS/400 install, here's the saga so far. For those new to the story, I have
worked on AS/400 before but never installed one. Now, we just got one, a 720
with V4R3 and I got the install assignment. Everyone here is even more
clueless than I am (they still wonder how to spell AS/400 - is it a slash or
a dash?)

I started by sifting through the box of AS/400 stuff given to me by the
server room guy. I found two of everything, including install CDs, PTFs,
licenses etc, and then, at the bottom of the box, two order sheets. So, I
went back to server room guy and asked if he had any idea why we had one
AS/400 and two orders. It turns out that we had actually ordered two systems
at the same time and one was for another city. Oh brother. I called the
other city and they had, you guessed it, an AS/400 with no box of AS/400
stuff. So, my first task was to sort everything in the box into two piles,
one for us and one for them.

Managed to sort everything except the Proof of Entitlement sheets. Sent out
messages to a few kind souls who had offered to help me off-line. "How
important is it that I figure out which proof belongs to which machine?" Got
a variety of replies, ranging from: -They're for the lawyers only- to -oh my
stars, that's not good, you'll have to try each one on your machine and
whichever doesn't work belongs to the other city. I haven't got to the point
where I use them yet, but am keeping my eyes and ears open, to try and
identify the "helpful" person who put all the stuff for both machines into
one box!

Okay, so then,

Changed the qsecofr password, did the addlickey - piece of cake.

Read chunks of the welcome cd, some sections of the manuals, all of the
replies I got from this list. Realized that some steps require backups. No
tapes. So, found a vendor and ordered some tapes. They're on back order.
This is actually okay, because I had to stop and attend a course anyway.
Tapes are here now.

Decided to follow the install procedure outlined in the Welcome CD. So, here
goes

Set system name, date, time. Piece of cake. Set security system values -
they even give a list in the welcome cd. Easy. Changed password for dst
users, set the password to *none for a whole list of IBM supplied user
profiles. The welcome CD has a whole list to follow. Cinch.

Connect to LAN. This scared me. I've never done anything with a LAN except
call the tech team. However, I followed the steps in the Welcome CD and it
worked like a charm. Wow, this is great.

Now I'm in the "Install Client Access on AS/400" section of the Welcome CD.
I have followed the steps and I've run into trouble. Not everything
installed. Copied the info from the joblog and will now tackle the manual to
see if I can figure out what to do.

Watch this space to see whether I can post the answer or a plea for help . .
.

Debbie Gallagher
dgallagher@deloitte.ca