  • Subject: Re: Am I missing something? Can an AS/400 act as a network server right now?
  • From: "Carl Galgano" <cgalgano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 16:42:53 -0500

depend on the OS version, however generally after v3r7 you are OK, v4 is
better though.  We are running V2R3 on one old box and it works fine for
telnet and FTP.  You do have to have the TCP/IP utilities installed and
configured. In V3 and above it is an option free part of the base OS, look
for 57xxTC1, most AS400 have it installed.  Install the card, create a lined
with the CRTETHLIN command (use the WRKHDWRSC *CMN command to get the
resource name of the newly install Ethernet card), Once you have the lined
created, vary it on, do a CFGTCP, use option 1 to create an interface and
assign an IP address to the AS400 (a number line 192.168.xxx.xxx is usually
a good choice to use since it is no routable on the internet).  Use the
AS400 commands STRTCP, and STRHOSTSVR to start it all up.  You should also
check the start up parameter on the servers you wish to start automatically
when TCP/IP is started, look at the menu for Work with TCP/IP applications.
Be sure you plug the AS400 Ethernet card into a hub or you can plug it
directly into a PC with a cross over cable.  Configure the PC to be on the
same subnet as the AS400.  (If the address you assigned your AS400 is
192.168.1.1, then assign the PC something like 192.168.1.2).  You do this in
the network neighborhood properties in Win95/98.  After all the various
reboots, you should be able to ping to your AS400 (go to a DOS prompt and
type PING 192.168.1.1).  If that works you should be able to telnet, ftp,
et.al.  Of course IP networking can get much more complicated than this with
DHCP server, DNS server, routers, various subnets..... etc.  This is a VERY
single example..... HTH.
CJG
Carl Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
540 Powder Springs Street
Suite C19
Marietta, GA  30064
770-422-2995
mailto: cgalgano@ediconsulting.com
http://www.ediconsulting.com
EDI, Communications and AS400 Technical Consulting