  • Subject: Re: Release License API Ethics
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:39:00 -0800

Oh, oh, oh!  Now it makes MUCH more sense 8-)

Okay, let me see if I got this right.  You have some program with some
number of licenses, say 5.  You give 5 employees a license to use the
software.  Employee #6 comes along and needs to use it, so you take
the license away from one on of the other employees who using' using
it right then, say employee #2.  Later on, employee #2 needs to use it,
so you take it away from #3, and so on.  So, you always have a max
of 5 using it at any given time, but they are not always the same 5.

And is this wrong?

Hmm... I would say it all depends on  your license agreement.  If your
license agreement says you have a 5 user license, and the program itself
lets you change the users at will, I would say it would be legal.  A lot of
pain to maintain, but legal.

Now, if the license agreement says you have a 5 user license, and only
those 5 users can ever use it, it would be wrong.  If the program allows
you to change who the license is for, though, I would say it would be
okay.

Understand, I am not a lawyer, nor am I an expert on the law.

I think you need to get out your license agreement, read it very carefully.

Another question is, is this moral?  If you bought a 5 user license of a program
and 7 people are using it, that's not very moral.  It may be legal, just not
"right".

Everything stated is just my opinion on how I read the matter.  Please do
not hold me to this.  I don't want to get a summons and get put on the witness
stand and have some lawyer point his finger at me and say, 'Did you tell
Bob Randall this was legal?"

Regards,

Jim Langston