  • Subject: Release License API
  • From: "Bob Randall" <BLR@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 15:31:34 -0600

I am coding my first OS/400 Software API <oh the joy>, and I have what is
probably a very basic question. Then <oh my> an ethics question. I posted a
question some time back, about releasing licenses for users via a program. I
have part of it working, but part of it is not.

The basic question concerns the LICL0200 format used by QLZARLS. (Wow, that
last sentence looks like I almost know what I am talking about <LOL>) I am
trying to release a license for a single user, and the format calls for  the
following:

Binary(4) Offset to user
Binary(4) Length of license user
Char(8) License user handle
Binary(4) Offset to additional license user info
Binary(4) Length of additional license user info
Char(*) License user
Binary(4) Number of uses held

All I know when I release the user in WRKLICINF is the user ID. Obviously I
am in the right product and so forth, but I don't care about the other users
that are remaining. What would this table look like (especially the License
user handle) to release a user ID of say "BOB"? Or is that not exactly what
it is intended to do?

Now for the ethics question. I am attempting to release a license through a
program that I releasing manually is a non-issue. When that person goes back
to using the software they get re-issued a license. Is it wrong to release
the license through a program like this, thus effectively introducing
something like concurrent licensing? Is that why I am having trouble
figuring out what the License user handle is?

TIA, for any answer <grin>,
Bob Randall