  • Subject: Re: AS400 Mail server integration with Exchange features
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhui@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 07:02:52 -0500

Vijosh A wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I have been trying to set up SMTP on the AS400. I went about by making the
> distribution entries etc. etc. But nothing works. The problems I face are -
>
> 1.      In my shop there is a Microsoft Exchange - Windows NT network with
> Proxies for mails. Connection to the outside world is only possible through
> this system.
<snip>

This came from Microsoft (Document Q191146).  It describes a method for having
non-Windows (ie AS/400) boxes behind Proxy and while enjoying the security of
being behind the proxy.  It basically describes having a 3rd network card in
the proxy server with a public ip address.  The machines on this subnet
behind the proxy need public addresses as well.  Because they have public
ip's, they are not in the LAT and therefore do not need a proxy client.
It's like a DMZ; however, the machines on this subnet still get filtered
from the proxy server.  Also, these machines then could host services
to be published on the internet (smtp, dns, etc).  The only downside
I can see is the need for more public ip addresses and/or the loss
of a couple due to subnetting an existing range.

> 2.      Suppose the mail server is properly working, then do I have to enter
> all my friends mail ID's in the distribution entry list? For e.g. in Outlook
> if I receive a mail from a friend I can simply click on reply and send him a
> mail. In AS400 is it that simple or do we have to give the addresses in the
> distribution entry list etc.. etc.. ?

I can't remember the parm but there is one that will let you enter Internet
Email
addresses rather than the two part Directoy Entry addresses.  In any case I
believe
you can use reply either way.

> 3.      Is it possible to integrate the Microsoft Outlook with the AS400
> Mail server so that users still use Microsoft Outlook and instead of Windows
> NT the AS400 send mails. This facility is more required with excel etc.
> where my users create excel sheets and send it from excel itself to a mail
> recipient.

  Yes, There is an integration piece that makes the AS/400 an available server
to Outlook.  I believe it becomes available when you install Client Access on
the machine.  Also since the AS/400 is a straight POP3/SMTP mail server you
can use Other PC clients like Eudora, or Netscape to name a couple.

HTH - Larry

--
Larry Bolhuis         | What do You want to Reload today?
Arbor Solutions, Inc  | Don't throw your PC out the window,