  • Subject: Re: AS400 allowing 24 hour availability
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhui@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 22:03:38 -0500

Christina,

  It has been mentioned to 'write your own'.  In the days prior to being
DataMirror BPs I tried that.  No Way!  I'm not going to debate the relative
merits of DataMirror and it's competition but suffice to say we chose to
represent DataMirror.

  You can certainly set up System A to mirror to System B.  You can suspend
mirroring (any transactions queue up) while you do backup on System B. You can
certainly run any nightly reporting on System B so long as no updates are
required, thus giving you additional resources.

  If you want to do 'two way' mirroring then you are certainly into the Advanced
Course.  DataMirror supports this in two ways, you can switch the mirroring
direction (allows updates basically on one system at a time) or you can add exit
programs to do the DB updates, which you code to update the appropriate fields.

  Consider updates to both databases.  If you update file A on system A and file
B on system B and the mirroring mirrors them respectively you can see this
presents no problems.  Now if you update file A on both systems then you have
some work to do.  If you can be assured that system A only updates field 1 and
system B updates field 2 then your exit program will relatively simple.  If both
update the same field then you must code for that in your exit program.  I won't
go into the permutations of the possibilities that you will face but there are
several.

  You can also add hardware/software between the two systems to utilize the B
system as a hot backup to A.  This increases the complexity some but also the
value.

  HTH - Larry

--
Larry Bolhuis         | What do You want to Reload today?
Arbor Solutions, Inc  | Don't throw your PC out the window,