  • Subject: Telnet Exit Program Problem
  • From: Jeffrey Stevens <jstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 15:16:58 -0400

> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 99 11:41:35 +1000
> From: "Simon Coulter" <shc@flybynight.com.au>
> Subject: Re: Telnet Exit Program Problem
>
> Hello Ray,
>
> Are you using wildcard device names?
>
> DEVINIT2 will check the status of a generically named device before returning
>and only allow
> VARIED-ON and VARIED-ON-PENDING.  However, you may find that the list of
>partial devices is
> becoming very large and DEVINIT2 is taking too long to process them.  There
>is a chance that
> the exit program is taking more than 10 seconds to complete which may be
>contributing to your
> problem.  You can set a *TIMING value in the data area used by the exit
>programs to gather
> timing statistics.  You can also turn *DEBUG on and trace the exit program.
>Read the comments
> in the C program headers.  You can also use the RMVDEVD command supplied with
>the exit programs
> to reduce the number of virtual devices.

Telnet timeout for user exits is actually 60 seconds.  To alter this value, you
must use the ADDEXITPGM command.  For example, the following sets the timeout to
10 seconds, via the PGMDTA parameter:

    ADDEXITPGM EXITPNT(QIBM_QTG_DEVINIT) FORMAT(INIT0100)
    PGMNBR(1) PGM(USEREXIT/DEVINIT2) REPLACE(*YES)
    CRTEXITPNT(*NO) PGMDTA(*JOB *CALC 10)

> Are you using named device support?
>
> If so you may be running into a problem where the TELNET server doesn't know
>the device isn't
> available because the virtual terminal API doesn't return an indication of a
>device in use or
> varied-off and appears to hang.

This is correct.

> I've known about this problem for a while (because it was causing problems in
>my TELNET server)
> but Jeffrey Stevens has recently informed me of the PTFs to fix that issue:
>
>   V4R4 - SF59213
>   V4R3 - SF58955
>   V4R2 - SF59303 (Test PTF)

These PTF's are for the Virtual Terminal API's - not for the Telnet Exit
Programs.  These PTF's do not affect the Telnet Exit Programs.

> PS: With the virtual device support being extended to character values
>(0000-ZZZZ) has anybody
> got devices with rude names?  You know, QAPDEVF**K, for instance.

The sample Telnet Exit Programs exclude vowels from any variable part they
build, specifically to avoid creating offensive words.  You will not get rude
names with these samples.

--
J.S. (Jeffrey) Stevens  AS/400 TCP/IP (Telnet/WSG/LPD)