  • Subject: TCP Telnet Startup quirks
  • From: markvilla@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:16:28 -0400

I am experiencing similiar TELNET startup problems on V4R2 and V4R3.
STRTCPSVR *ALL starts telnet as expected but it starts POP server and other
servers we do not use (yet).
STRTCP does not always work. Telnet starts but nothing happens!
STRTCPIFC will work if OS determines not started (Manually after IPL)
The problem occurs on ethernet and Token Ring.
I have added QSTRUP delay's and ensured QSERVER,QCMN (for S/36 mode) has
time to start.

I think it is possible that starting the S/36 Environment may be the cause.
(otherwise everybody would be complaining) Some logic huh?

We did not have this problem on the slower boxes (which have earlier
releases of course).

ANYNET is *YES on our systems.
I have applied TCP Specific PTF's.
This solved HUNG TCP system and the system randomly perfoeming END *IMMED on
groups of interactive jobs when encountering a TCP error(that was a nasty
problem)
Message trails are SLIM!!!
I have not done any tracing.
We IPL weekly so that is why I notice.
TCP service is excellent once active.
I am going on a hunt today for more knowledge and solution.
Any advice is appreciated!

MarkVilla@mindspring.com
See us at WWW.THEPIG.NET