  • Subject: Re: Security <was RE: Fw: Rewarding challenge AS/400...>
  • From: Chuck Lewis <clewis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:52:24 +0100

<37E8ED80.5D4B0161@conexfreight.com>
Sender: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com

--------------F572125F6954205C0239EDE2

Jim,

Here's what I did at my previous employer (locations ALL over North
America) which
something similiar could help you in narrowing down who's where. All our user
profiles had an INLPGM. I Replaced that program with one that captures the
user id,
device and date and time to a file and then calls the "original" INLPGM.
What this
comes up with is a database of who signed on where (on what day and time)
for the
last 12 signons. Our help desk people could check this database when
someone called
and said "this is so and so and my device won't work" to narrow down what
device the
user "most likely" uses. This same type of info would at least tell you
what location
they are at (assuming that not everyone is QPADEVxxxxxx).

Chuck

Jim Langston wrote:

 > They write it in... a book?!?
 >
 > I tell all my users not to give anyone their password, not even
me.  When I show
 > them how to log on for the first time (they have expired set to yes) and
explain
 > to them how to change their password, I tell them not to give it to anyone.
 >
 > It sounds like that Supervisor needs to be explained what he whole idea of
 > passwords is.  About that time I think I would broadcast a message to *ALLWS
 > restating the policy of the IS department that people not give their
password out
 > to anyone, including their supervisor.  Then I would go and set all
passwords to
 > expired.
 >
 > Regards,
 >
 > Jim Langston
 >
 > Eric wrote:
 >
 > >         Being that many users do not know that they should not be
signing on as
 > > other people, one option would be to present a screen to users every so
 > > often.  State that payroll wants the correct spelling of their name and
 > > what department that they are working in.  You could also specify that the
 > > name that they fill is not their USER ID.  This tends to weed out some of
 > > the culprits.
 > >         Nothing is full proof though.  At a company that I worked at
once, I
 > > turned on password expiration in hopes of keeping people from using each
 > > other's passwords.  I thought I had it all worked out until one day
while I
 > > was in the sales department I heard someone yell, "It's time for me to
 > > change my password.  Who has the book?".  I asked the person what book
they
 > > were looking for.  She said that whenever an employee changes their
 > > password, their supervisor makes them write their name and new password in
 > > a book for employee reference.  They keep by the printer so everyone can
 > > access it.
 > >
 > > Eric Kempter

I see

david@midrange.com