  • Subject: Art Buchwald on Y2K
  • From: Glenn Ericson <Glenn-Ericson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:38:41 -0400

By Art Buchwald
Los Angeles Times Syndicate
Thursday, September 9, 1999; Page C02

Now is the time for all good men and women to come to the
aid of their software.

Once upon a time, when Stone Age man was just oozing out of
the slime, he invented the computer. It was unwieldy and
not much use for killing game, but as time went on great
hairy minds kept reducing the size of it until a person was
able to drop it from a tree on a dinosaur's head and knock
the reptile out.

Then a wise hairy man named Zilch, with a math degree from
Cro-Magnon Tech, said, "There must be other uses for a
computer than to drop it on a dinosaur's head. I will
develop a program from mud so we can solve problems and
make seat reservations when the airplane is invented."

Everyone laughed at him, but Zilch was determined. He
worked day and night creating a program that would make the
computer useful to society.

Unfortunately, the computer he was working with had very
little memory and when asked such simple questions as
"Where is Broadway and 42nd Street?" could not give an
answer.

So Zilch worked out a solution. When it came to the date,
let's say 2097 B.C., he dropped the 20 because everyone
knew the century was 20. That saved enough memory to print
out Neanderthal cellular phone bills for a family of four.

It was a brilliant move, and Zilch became the Bill Gates of
the Stone Age.

As time went on--and I mean lots of time--people wrote
software programs for every business in the world,
including hip replacement operations and slot machines,
which got more sophisticated with each generation of
computers.

No one noticed that the lack of a century would have any
effect on the computer system.

Hundreds of years passed without problems. Then a freshman
at MIT wrote a paper for his math class indicating that all
hell would break loose in 2000 B.C. because every software
program in the past 50 years had been written with two
spaces for the year instead of four.

He wrote, "When the computers hit double zeros at the end
of their programs, or vice versa, they will revert their
thinking to 2100 B.C. because there is nothing to tell them
to go forward to the next century. This will wipe out the
price of everything from Big Macs to Nintendo games."

The student got a D because his paper was not neatly typed.
But it didn't take scientists long to realize he was right.
They played games to see what would happen. A computer that
was supposed to book people's rental cars in Hawaii fired a
missile into Trump Tower. A Wall Street computer that had
been instructed to purchase U.S. government treasury notes
wound up with a million diseased chickens from Shanghai.

The president called a meeting to discuss a solution to the
gravest problem the country had ever faced. His concern was
that computers were the only machines essential to
political fund-raising.

After talking to all the experts, the president made his
decision. Every double-zero computer in the United States
would be confiscated and dropped on Saddam Hussein's head
in Baghdad.

It was a great plan and restored the original purpose of
the computer.

I know the big question people are asking is: "Now what
happens to e-mail?"

The answer is simple. You print it out, stuff it in an
envelope, put on a 33-cent stamp, take it down to the post
office, stick it in a box and mail it.

© Copyright 1999 The Washington Post Company

http://search.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPlate/1999-09/09/17
6l-090999-idx.html