As a software provider, we maintain a B20 with V3R2 because a number of our
clients are still running on V3R2.  Part of our software involves getting
information from the AS/400 and displaying that on attached PC's.  We also
transfer files from PC to AS/400 and vice versa.

All of our development is currently done on a 40S with V4R2.  I am
installing a 170 with V4R4, which is going to be the new development box.
All our transfer mechanisms allow the client to select either a router
connection or TCP/IP.  Because the development is on a V4R2 machine, TCP/IP
is used almost by default.  Any development on V4R2 is then transferred to
the V3R2 machine and re-compiled (build) under that release.  This is also
done using TCP/IP.

I have personally, other than perhaps speed (performance) not had any
problems whatsoever using TCP/IP on V3R2 (in both directions).  From the
perspective of our software, I have not seen any support issues come across
my desk that were because of TCP/IP connection.

I suppose what I am saying is that, yes, for us it works as well on V3R2 as
on V4Rx releases.  And yes, quite a few of our clients are using this within
a LAN setup (including ourselves).

Rick Renkema
Create!print International
Phone: +61 3 9824 6888
Fax: +61 3 9824 6866
Mobile: +61 412 CPRINT (412 277 468)

"All great discoveries are made by mistake."