  • Subject: RE: error handling during *INIT
  • From: Buck Calabro <mcalabro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 16:21:27 -0400

Hey!  I know this one!!!  :-)

If you let the program open the files you can't trap the error because the
system default error handler is  in charge until your code starts running.
If you declare the files user controlled open, you can put an error
indicator on the OPEN statement and trap any errors at that time.  You can
use the *PSSR to trap and control flow, but it gets ugly.  This is one place
where it's easier to use an indicator! <old-timer-smirk>  You can get the
exact error from the program status data structure, or from the INFSR of the
file in error.

btw, start of program is "file open" or *INZSR time.  Before your code gets
control.  End of program is what happens after you SETON LR - after the last
operation in your program.  System stuff.

Buck Calabro
Billing Concepts Albany, NY