  • Subject: Re: Communication question
  • From: Patrick Townsend <townsend@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 21:44:35 -0700

Nina,

They are probably using a DataFlex application on the assembly line.
DataFlex (http://www.flextools.com) is an application development
environment (database, code generator, 3gl, etc.) for PCs, LANs and
UNIX. They have lots of tools and components to build applications.
Stuff we take for granted on the AS/400. My guess is that GM has created
some manufacturing automation stuff with DataFlex, and they send
transactions over Asynchronous connections to trading partners.

They are probably wanting you to provide Data Communications Equipment
(DCE) to their Data Terminal Equipment (DTE). This just means they are
going to act like a terminal and want you to act like the computer the
terminal is hooked to. In other words the AS/400 will be the DCE. The
modems, cables and AS/400 configuration will provide the signal mapping
to accomplish this.

If you create your own solution you will need a communications port on
the AS/400 (standard port for RS232 comms or V.35 port for 56kb). You
will need to create an ICF file for Asynchronous communications, Asynch
line, controller and device, and RPG program (or whatever) to read and
write the data. Might be simple or might be complex depending on the GM
application protocol.

I've found the AS/400 to not be very good at handling the Asynchronous
protocol in many cases. We dumped a direct connect solution in favor of
a Serial-to-Ethernet solution. A hardware device converts the serial
interface to TCP/IP sockets. It is far more reliable, has better error
detection, no cable length restrictions, network routing support, etc.
etc. I've been very happy with it.

You are going to need a bit more information from GM before you can
start. What are the formats of the data they are sending you. What are
the contents of the fields. What is the protocol they want you to follow
(request/response, one-way, etc.). It sounds like you've just got very
general information from them.

We should take this discussion off line from this forum if you are
interested in our product. If you want to roll your own I'll be glad to
provide some pointers on setting up the AS/400 communications.

Patrick
P.S. - I wasn't actually thinking I'd have to eat the frog...

--
IBM AS/400 communications, FTP automation, and network security
software and consulting services.

http://www.patownsend.com