Jeffrey,

Nope, no PC. We use a serial-to-Ethernet converter from Intelligent
Instrumentation. It's about the size of a modem. It has either 2 or 4
serial ports and an RJ45 Ethernet connection. You plug the serial device
into one of the serial ports and connect the RJ45 to the Ethernet LAN.
At Nina's customer we connected a DSU/CSU to the serial port. On the
other end of the 56kb circuit was GM's assembly line system. Our
software on the AS/400 initializes the converter and configures it, and
then communicates over the network with it.

There are lots of advantages to this approach: You have full visibility
on the AS/400 as to the status of the converter so if it goes off-line
or loses power we can notify the operator. We can also automatically
recover the connection, reconfigure the converter, and restart the
session when the device comes back on line. That's important if the
device is a half a mile out in the warehouse. And you don't have those
nasty serial cable problems with distance and reliability. And it's
network routable, etc. Really a great device. We've tried a lot of
different solutions for serial connections and I like this one the best.

I'm trying hard to find some new definitions of toad....

Patrick