> Autostart jobs are to the 400 as are autoexec.bat jobs are to
> PCs. The are
> called when a sbs starts. For a TCP/IP job it could be used
> to start the
> listener job that might be needed to be active as a
> continuously running job
> in the sbs.

That much I gathered.

> Prestart jobs are great for comm based programs. They go out
> and do some of
> the startup overhead prior to having the actual job to run.
> Things like what
> sbs to run in and the like. this cuts down on startup time
> when a request
> comes in to start a new job.

I kinda got the impression that Prestart jobs are used for SNA
communications... is this incorrect?

Here's my situation... I have 2 programs that need to run on a remote site
of a tcp/ip communications link... a monitor a daemon.

The monitor listens for communications requests and then hands that request
off to a daemon to be processed (mucho thanks to Bob Crothers for help in
getting this concept working).  When the daemon is done, it will end.

Ideally, the monitor program would be a auto start job and the daemon would
be an prestart job.  I've seen parameters on the prestart job entry commands
related to "initial number of jobs", "additional number of jobs", etc... so
I'm guessing that the system will manage the actual prestart jobs and start
more if they are necessary.

I'm unsure as to how the system determines if it needs to start more jobs
though.

Or am I crazy?

david