Re: Same field names

  • Subject: Re: Same field names
  • From: John Hall <jhall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 10:19:30 -0400

fixed

James W Kilgore wrote:

> I could be wrong, but it was explained to me that such products
> internally prefix the field name with the file name.  Like Query/400
> prefixes fields.

If you think about it all field names are prefixed with the file name.
Or to put it another way we use the customer field from the custmast
file.

Only certain languages (like RPG) allow you to overlay fields from one
file with fields from another if the field name is the same.

This is one of the most powerful features of RPG.  Unfortunately it
leads to database design debates about field names.  Other languages
can't do this so it makes sense to define a field once and use it across
all the files.

John Hall
+---