  • Subject: Re: Large Number of deleted records delaying EOF on a read?
  • From: "Henrik Krebs" <hkrebs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 14:30:24 +0200

A deleted record is not deleted, just marked as so (Ref the
TAATOOL-command to 'undelete records'), so most of your processing is the
same for the deleted records, except that the record will never reach
your program.

I do not like the 'reuse deleted' (you never know when you want to debug
what has happened with the file-record history). If possibly - code the
application so that you can close the file and reorganize it regulary.

----------
> Fra: Kris Vaidyanathan <krishnan@ozemail.com.au>
> Til: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
> Emne: Large Number of deleted records delaying EOF on a read?
> Dato: 30. april 1999 03:53
>
> As part of our Y2K changes we had to mirror 6digit versions and 8 digit
> versions of some files. We set this up so that a trigger program would
write
> the records to a bucket file, and a never ending program would pick
them up
> and then process and pass them along to the mirror image file. Then
delete
> it form the bucket. The bucket file was unkeyed, so that FIFO
processing
> took place and updates stayed in sync.
>
> Curiously enough after a couple weeks the whole thing slowed down
> drastically. After much monitoring and study we found that because of
the
> large number of deleted records in the bucket file, the never ending
program
> read a record, delete it, then read the next record, but would delay
the EOF
> indicator coming on. Basically the program just seemed to wade through
empty
> deleted records before noting that the file was empty.
>
> Once we re-organized the file all was well. So we set up regular, twice
> day re-org on the file and all seems Ok.
>
> Question is, does the AS400 have a problem here, ie difficulty in
> recognizing EOF on file with large (we're talking very large) numbers
of
> deleted records?
> krisV
> ______________________________________
> THIS DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.  The
information
> contained in this document did represent the current view of Kris
> Vaidyanathan on the issues discussed as of the date of publication.
Because
> Kris Vaidyanathan must respond to changes in reality, space time
phenomena
> and local subspace conditions, it should not be interpreted to be a
> commitment on the part of Kris Vaidyanathan and Kris Vaidyanathan
cannot
> guarantee the accuracy of any information presented after the date of
> publication..(this does not mean that I am an idiot.)
> INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED 'AS IS' WITHOUT
WARRANTY
> OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO
THE
> IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
AND

MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com