  • Subject: Incrementing AAA
  • From: boothm@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 11:40:05 -0400

I was going to submit this solution then I saw the triple-do loops
solution and was intimidated by its sweetness and clarity.  After thinking
about it though, I decided I'd post mine anyway since this solution can be
a standalone sub routine.

1)Make a one character 26 element array of the alphabet.

2)define three counters CNT1, CNT2, CNT3 with an initial value of 1, and
an output field FLD3.  If the intial value is to begin at some specified
place such as CMU then it would be trivial to do a LOKUP up in the array
for each position and use the array index as the initial value for each
counter.

3)write a subroutine:
(set to fixed font to view)

  C    AAA2ZZZ  BEGSR
   * Set three indices for the array:
  C    CNT3     IFGE  27
  C             ADD   1          CNT2
  C             Z-ADD 1          CNT3
  C             END

  C    CNT2     IFGE  27
  C             ADD   1          CNT1
  C             Z-ADD 1          CNT2
  C             END

  C    CNT1     IFGE  27
  C             Z-ADD 1          CNT1
  C             END

   * Concatenate TO fill FLD3:
  C             MOVE   *BLANKS   FLD3
  C     AR,CNT1 CAT    AR,CNT2   FLD3
  C     FLD3    CAT    AR,CAT3   FLD3

   * Add one to the right-most counter in preparation for
   * the next call to this sub routine.
  C             ADD   1          CNT3

  C             ENDSR

This method would be useful in a shop that uses traditional techniques.  I
didn't test it so it may have a stupid error, but the algorithm itself is
suitable I think.