  • Subject: RPG Cycle (was Reinventing Code)
  • From: "Bob Crothers" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 13:30:21 -0500

I will not get into another cycle-vs no cycle discussion....
I will not get into another cycle-vs no cycle discussion....
I will not get into another cycle-vs no cycle discussion....

Ah, the heck with it.

Using this argument, we shouldn't use EVAL's, externally defined print
files, or even externally defined db files either.  Many have not used
them in the past.  And they do hide things from you.

I fact, perhaps we should have frozen RPG at about RPG II.  BTW,  RPG
II required that you use the Cycle.  Who remembers SUBR99?

Any programmer that is not capable of learning new techniques (as in
techniques new to them) should think seriously about a caraer change.
Myself, when I stop learning new techniques, I figure it is time for a
change.

Why would you NOT use a very good feature of the language?  In most
cases, the RPG cycle is not subtle at all.  Only when you get into
matching records and/or look ahead fields does it start getting
complex.

Have you looked at your home grown level break logic?  If it is
working, then it probably IS the cycle.  Doesn't matter if it in RPG,
COBOL, or C++.

And regarding the "hidden logic" argument, what about the logic that is
hidden from you when you use a Join file?  Or OPNQRYF, or many other
features?

Regards,
Bob Crothers