  • Subject: Re: Early Client Server on the AS/400
  • From: John Hall <jhall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 10:36:00 -0500

JanAS400@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/26/98 8:01:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> DAsmussen@aol.com writes:
>
> << Given the benefit of hindsight, our decision to
>  recommend C/S was probably a poor one at the time.  Why do you ask? >>
> Because i'm an as/400 developer (rpg type) i've been asked to be an expert
> witness in a lawsuit.   the suit is:   one of the big6 accounting firms sold a
> "client server solution" in Jan '94 to a company, proposing a  switch from the
> company's as/400 to unix, sybase, hp, and programs written in "C" for the 486
> "PC" (we call this "fat client" now).    big problems, the code didn't work,
> the systems crashed, databases didn't talk to each other, etc.    I'm
> researching whether they could have gone "client server" using the As/400 they
> had at that time.   or could they have used "pop up windows" and forgotten the
> GUI interface?    I'd appreciate any of your thoughts about this..       In
> May '94 IBM announced ILE and V3R7 of OS/400.    lots was happening with C/S
> in early '94 at IBM.   Thanks for responding.     jan
> +---
> +---

We used a product called FileT/PC in late 1993 / early 1994.  This was a
Client server product that allowed record level access to and DDM target
such as AS400 or S36.  Supported clients were OS/2, DOS and windows.
This product was available as early as 1993 and may bave been available
earlier as OPNAccess/Data Access Library (DAL).  Recommended programming
languages were C/C++ and visual basic.

This product was similar in functionality to Delphi/400 or Project
Lightning.

Any claim that C/S was not available on the 400 is totally false.

If you need more info contact me via private email

John Hall
Home Sales Co.