Alan,

>I'm curious, what makes a PC based editor so much better?  I tried
>CODE/400 for a short while and felt that it would slow me down.  I know
>a lot of people rave about it and I'm just wondering what I'm not
>seeing.

Aside from what Buck mentioned, you get other benefits too.

The only slowdown I can imagine would be transfer to/from the PC vs
open/save on the 400, or prompting commands in CL programs.  As far as
transfer times go, using TCP/IP is pretty equivalent to SEU for small
members, and actually faster than my 40S for large members.  Using SNA
is slower than SEU open/save.  But even at that, for all but trivial
changes where you know ahead of time what you will change, I still
think you come out ahead by using the features of the PC editor.

Why is editing faster on the PC?  Lots of (non-prioritized) reasons:
 - Virtually instantenous navigation
 - Immediate dynamic column-level color coding (not line level)
 - Intelligent, fast cursor movement based on spec type
 - Rulers based on current line, not top source line on screen
 - Unlimited keystroke level undo/redo (not F5 refresh of screen)
 - Multiple members open concurrently for editing (not just browse)
 - Multiple windows to the *same* source member (e.g. one on the
      D-specs; one where you are "working"; another for zooming into
      a subroutine or subprocedure; etc.)
 - Drag  & drop between windows
 - Dynamic matching of structured opcode pairs
 - Regular expression search & replace
 - Outline mode with collapse/expand
 - Pop-up indicator and field cross-references
 - Bookmarks for instant return to given location
 - Macro language for programmable operations
- Etc.

Just the readability of dynamic color coding that is column sensitive
(fixe format stuff) or context sensitive (free format languages) is a
bigger aid to fast comprehension then you'd expect.  I've been using
RPG for about 19 years and know the columns well -- but it is still
faster to "read" color coded source.  (Line level coloring for
comments and whatever is better than monochrome, but still not near as
good (or dynamic) as what a PC editor will give you.)

Doug