  • Subject: Re: RPG,COBOL or JAVA
  • From: "David Morris" <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 10:11:31 -0700

Hans,

I do agree that RPGIV is lacks many basic features of
an object oriented language.  Primarily the interfaces
provided do not allow very much flexibility.  You cannot
pass variable type parameters, and because of parameter
passing restrictions, you cannot simulate inheritance
directly.  In order to support these things you have to
define your own storage system.  RPGIV will do little to
help you understand OO, but I think it is a better
starting point than RPGIII.

I am interested to find out how your experience with OO
programming progresses.  We had problems when we
assumed that inheritance should be used wherever
possible.  We ended up backing off quite a bit.  I
suspect this has happened to others.

I am no expert in Java and I am sure most of our problems
with OO have been caused by a lack of experience.   I
have been working on a system that uses  inheritance
extensively, and there were drawbacks.  One problem
is that inheritance is defined at compile time.  Another
problem, and the one caused the most problems for us
was that changes to a parent can affect subclasses.
A system built of components is generally more flexible,
the trade-off is that you do not get the same level of
re-use.

David Morris

Buck Calabro wrote:
>I think that this is very well said.  An aside is
>that RPG IV/ILE RPG can help you learn OO while
>you work, rather than have to learn OO AND a new
>language AND a new environment (GUI) all at the
>same time.

I have to disagree with this.  New features of
RPG IV, such as prototyped procedures, allow you
to apply the technique of "modular programming",
which became popular in the early 80's.  Object
oriented programming goes well beyond modular
programming.  Being well-versed in modular
programming offers little advantage when faced
with fundamental OO concepts such as inheritance.
To summarize my point:  Inheritance is a very
fundamental characteristic of OO programming and
cannot be fully appreciated without experiencing
OO.  Using a non-OO language, like RPG IV, can
never prepare you for OO.

Cheers!  Hans

Hans Boldt, ILE RPG Development, IBM Toronto Lab, boldt@ca.ibm.com