RE:     RE: RPG,COBOL or JAVA

> Put away your cynical Java beliefs (you can put them in the closet with
> mine!), Java is here to stay for the AS/400. It is nearly impossible to
> understate IBM's and, more in our cases, specifically, the AS/400's
> division's, investment in Java.

<<< SNIP>>

> , the issue is, is Java
> alive for the AS/400? And the answer is yes, very much so.
> Fight it if you
> want to, but application development choices are about to fundamentally
> change forever in the AS/400 camp.

I have to agree with you Roger.
  Many I fear,  will misinterprate what you said
about new development in Java though.  Even if someone's shop doesn't
switch to Java and stays with RPG,   The BIG package vendors are moving
to Java.   It won't be the inhouse developed apps that Roger was speaking of
when he said "40% will be Java"  It will be the bought'n packages in a few
years that will be Java.  I've been coding for 18 years in RPG, and I am
telling ya that Java will make or break the future for the AS/400.

New people AIN'T learning RPG,  NO ONE wants Green anymore, PERIOD.
Whether GUI is better or not, it's an extraneous argument.

What you develop in house and what language you use will NOT affect what
the commercial software companies will develop new apps in.  It WILL be
Java most likely.

But I could be wrong.

John Carr
EdgeTech
Have Classes, Will Travel.
( I even still teach RPG IV, CLP, etc. ha ha)