  • Subject: Re: Y2K Customer nuts?
  • From: Dave Mahadevan <mahadevan@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 18:02:49 -0500

Folks:

An interesting idea from AS/400 magazine November 1998 (pp. 72-73).

The author Brendan O'Connell of Millennium Solutions suggests Encapsulation.
Here is the explanation.  "Encapsulation involves subtracting a fixed number of
years from all databases data fields, and where these fields are output to
either screens or reports, the date offset value is reapplied.  The normal
offset value is 28 years this preserves day-of-the-week mapping required for
financial and planning
applications.  The general effect of this method is to remove the sequence and
calculation errors associated with the century change; that is 98,99,00,01
become 70,71,72,73."

Ok, now I am not doing this.  If you do this, you are on your own.  I still
prefer 4 digit year as CCYYMMDD as 19981231 :-).

--
Thank You.

Regards

Dave Mahadevan.. mailto:mahadevan@fuse.net