  • Subject: Re: Y2K Customer nuts?
  • From: "Kathleen Kostuck" <kkostuck@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 16:16:36 -0600

I've read that some companies are planning to take advantage of the fact
that the calendar repeats itself every 28 years (days of week match).  So,
every date coming into the system is rolled back 28 years, every date
coming out of the system is rolled forward 28 years.  I don't want to even
think about how you would implement this.  I could maybe see it if you have
some 'black box' program with no source code that you are feeding a date
into, but an entire system? Plus external devices?

Is this what the controller wants?  Or do they even know what the 'other
people' are rolling back to?

I suppose it beats bankruptcy.  Otherwise, it sounds like a risky,
deferred-expense, type move.  Do they plan to continue this manipulation
indefinitely? My instincts say that this 'quick and dirty shortcut' will
cause an exception-type overhead on everything, which will really add up in
the long run, turning into more trouble than it's worth.

Good luck (and let us know if it works!)

Kathleen Kostuck
___________________
(414) 402-0820       fax (414) 495-4986
kkostuck@execpc.com
AS/400 Solutions
Secretary - Wisconsin Midrange Computer Professionals Association
___________________
----------
> From: Fisher, Don <DRF@HeiligMeyers.com>
> To: 'MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com'
> Subject: RE: Y2K Customer nuts?
> Date: Wednesday, December 02, 1998 2:08 PM
>
> Let me see if I got this.  The customer wants to set the date on their
> AS/400 to 1900?
>
> Ummm, processing that is day of week dependent may not function properly.
> Any processes that cross years, such as financial reporting, may function
> unpredictably.  And there are those processes that calculate differences
in
> dates, like accounts receivable aging and trend analysis programs, that
will
> not provide correct results.
>
> There may also be legal ramifications regarding wages, taxes, etc.
Federal,
> state, and local authorities may take exception to record keeping that is
> not "accurate".
>
> On the whole, I agree with you...They are Crazy.
> Donald R. Fisher, III
> Senior Programmer/Analyst
> Heilig-Meyers Furniture Company
> (804) 784-7500 ext. 2124
> Don.Fisher@HeiligMeyers.com

Retail
> > store Cash registers, store controllers, etc.).
> >
> > They want to know if they can just set the date back on their /400.
The

MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com