Excerpts from midrange-l: 21-Oct-98 Re: FTP.EXE Terry Grider@arkansas.ne
(1561*)

>   Yes, I've figured out the MPUT command I think, but I'm having trouble
> getting my user and password excepted from the command file I'm piping to
> the ftp program.  It doesn't seem to except it on the open command and
> putting it after the open on a separate line doesn't work either.  It comes
> back to screen prompting for the password for user NONE.  Seems I can't
> satisfy this animal!

The UNIX solution to auto-login involves the use of a file called
'.netrc' -- however, despite some promising hits with
http://www.dejanews.com and several attempts there was still no joy on
NT 4.0.  According to several posters, there is a registry entry that
points to the directory that should contain your NETRC file.  I couldn't
get it to work, though, regardless of how I twiddled the
name/permissions.

Finally, I went to the Microsoft website and searched the knowledge base
for the phrase 'auto login' (the ftp command has a -n parameter that
turns this off, so there must be some way to turn it ON, thought I.)  I
got a hit called 'Using FTP Batch Scripts' that might help you do what
you want.  You can put a sequence of commands (including a plaintext
password -- yecch) into a script file,  say fred.scr, like so:

open host.name.string.thing
username
password
put filename.ext
quit

and then run the script with

FTP -s:fred.scr

There's actually another scenario that lets you specify the target
address on the command line -- you might want to check it out.

-blair