At 10:10 09/23/1998 , Patricia Haberman wrote:

>     I seem to be having a problem printing large reports (larger than
>     about 200 pages) to my LAN from *IP outqs.  Large reports remain in
>     SND status and never print. OS level is V3R2
>
>     I increased the amount of memory available to *SPOOL.  Are there any
>     PTFs that address this problem?

We've been having a similar problem with an HP5SI *LAN device that we print
routings on (V4R2), and are current with PTFs, including all applicable HIPERs.
With 200+ pages, we seem to be getting memory overruns. Sometimes pages in the
middle of the run will have a heading but no body data, and sometimes the job
will print part way through and then stop. We've just added an additional 32MB
of ram to the printer. The jury is still out on whether it helped or not,
although today we had an incident of a print job going to PND status and just
staying there. I ended the writer, varied off the device, put the entry on
hold, and then tried to move it to another output queue, but couldn't because
it was "in use". This is the second time I've observed this behavior, both
times with the same device, once before and once after adding the memory. The
writer occasionally seems to gobble up an inordinate number of CPU cycles
transforming a print job also (usually one of the big ones). Although it
doesn't seem to be an infinite loop, since it does eventually come back down to
earth, it's a little troubling. At this point I don't know if there is a
problem with the AS/400, with the device, the Jet Direct or possibly with the
LAN connection (it's on our least reliable TR segment on the far end of a T1
connection, and it also services a NetWare queue). Life's getting a little more
complicated each day...

Pete Hall
peteh@inwave.com
http://www.inwave.com/~peteh/