  • Subject: Re: Triggers
  • From: Bob Larkin <blarkin@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 12:04:27 -0700

Dave's comment makes sense. (I think)  The job that does the update in our
environment is a batch job, one is started for each PC session. IThe one gotcha
might be if you want to treat a PC job differently than a regular batch job. I
do
believe you get the updating program name in the trigger data. It would be
possible to further identify the updating jobs attributes.

Keep us informed as to your findings!
Bob

David Gibbs wrote:

> Should be able to ... a trigger program runs in the same job as the program
> that caused the trigger, doesn't it?
>
> If a job is interactive, it's on a green screen, right?
>
> At 09:47 AM 8/23/98 , boothm@ibm.net wrote:
> >Now you raise an interesting point... could the trigger program retrieve a
> >piece of information so that it'd know if it is a green screen or not?
> >or, monitor for a message?  If green screen, continue; if not, send a
> >message to the user and/or the QSYSECOFR?
> >
> >In <35DFA0C4.3E74CB0F@wt.net>, on 08/22/98
> >   at 09:55 PM, Bob Larkin <blarkin@wt.net> said:
> >

> >>Booth
> >>2. You will have a mess.I am assuming the Non Green Screen app is not
> >>simply a GUI session (ie. Seagull's GUI/400). We have VB applications
> >>that update AS/400 records using SQL packages. The trigger fires, then an
> >>error code is set if the trigger does not like the record. The PC
> >>receives an indication that the record was not written, with an SQL code
> >>to describe the error. There would be no interactive session associated
> >>with the I/O request, so the program would fail. Bob

> >--
> >+---
> >
> --
> | Internet: david@midrange.com
> | WWW:      http://www.midrange.com/david
> |
> | ... A man can move mountains, a world can be turned,
> | and the greatest of distances easily spanned,
> | When the strength that's invested in making a fist
> | is transformed into shaking a hand
> |
> |                       - DMRoth
>
> +---
> +---

begin:          vcard
fn:             Bob Larkin
n:              Larkin;Bob
org:            <A HREF="HTTP://web.wt.net/~blarkin/">Larkin Computer Consulting</A>
adr:            <A HREF="http://web.wt.net/~blarkin/">Bob and Diana's Page</A>;;;Houston;TX;<A HREF="http://web.wt.net/~blarkin/">;United States
email;internet: blarkin@wt.net
title:          Systems Consultant
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;4104