  • Subject: Re: Linux affinity ?
  • From: "Jack Mullins" <jmullins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 07:51:45 -0500

John:

We use Linux as our internet server, mail server, news, ftp, etc...  And
although I like Linux very much, I wouldn't use it as a client, at least not
as is.  First of all, it can be a pain in the !@# to setup, mostly because
of hardware incompatibilities.  There are lists of compatible hardware
configurations which help, but the lists are not complete.  When I was
building our Linux box, I kept having problems with the Linux installation.
The LILO program would come up, but, when I tried to install, the machine
would simply reboot!  It turned out that my motherboard was incompatible;
however, I didn't find this out until after replacing every other piece of
hardware in the machine.  I have to admit though, after I finally got the
compatible PC hardware setup, the software installation was very smooth.  I
am very impressed with Linux overall, but until Linux becomes more hardware
compatible and user friendly, I won't put a Linux box on a user's desk.  As
far as that goes, I don't like giving them Windows PCs either, there is just
too much overhead.  But, we have found that as long as we setup the PCs in
MIS and we keep the configuration simple, they are fairly stable.  We
usually don't have any trouble with them until someone starts messing with
the configuration or installing their own software, a big no no anyway.  As
far as Linux is concerned, I will use it as a server over any Microsoft
product any day, but I don't see it as a viable client OS just yet.  There
are several large software companies porting their products to Linux which
seems to indicate that Linux is moving in the right direction.  I wouldn't
be surprised if smaller companies started using it as a client.  But,
although the Linux system is more stable, it very seldom crashes and hardly
ever needs to be rebooted, the GUI can still be quirky during everyday use.

JMHO,

Jack Mullins
Sun Industries, Inc.
P.O. Box 2026